In today’s fast-paced world, every minute counts. Time tracking might not be something you think about on a daily basis, but it’s a helpful tool for managing your time more effectively.
The best time tracking apps are designed to help you see exactly how you spend your time so that you can optimize your schedule. Whether you’re a freelancer, a small business owner, or just looking to boost your productivity, a time tracker can help you get more done in less time.
The good news is that there are dozens of time tracking apps on the market, each with its own unique set of features. To help you find the best time tracking app for your needs, we’ve compiled a list of the 13 best time tracking apps for 2022.
What makes a time tracking app good?
With most of us now working remotely, time tracking has become more important than ever. It’s quite common to find yourself working odd hours or getting sidetracked by distractions when you’re not in an office setting.
The best time tracking app should be able to help you stay on task and track your time more accurately. But with so many time tracking apps available today, it can be tough to know which one is right for you.
When narrowing down your options, here are a few key features to look for:
- Automated time tracking: It’s easy to forget to start or stop the timer when you’re working on a project. This feature allows the app to start and stop the timer automatically based on your activity, so you don’t have to remember to do it yourself.
- Detailed reporting: The best time tracker gives you insights into how you’re spending your time. Look for an app that provides detailed reports and charts so you can see where you’re spending the most time and where you could stand to improve.
- Integrations: Most of us use various tools to get work done. It’s essential to choose an app that integrates with the tools you’re already using, such as your calendar, project management, or invoicing software.
- Invoicing: If you’re a freelancer or consultant, invoicing is an important feature to look for in a time tracker. The best time tracking software allows you to track billable hours and generate invoices directly from the app.
- Easy to use: Time tracking should be straightforward. Otherwise, you’re likely to give up on it quickly. Choose an app with a user-friendly interface so you can start tracking your time right away.
Best Time Tracking Software
Creating a more efficient workflow begins with understanding how you spend your time. From personal productivity to time management for teams, time tracking apps offer a variety of features to help you get a better handle on your time.
Spend more time on the work that matters with one of these best time tracking apps:
- Time Analytics
- Hours TimeLord
1. Day.io — Best time tracking app for teams
For businesses and teams, time tracking is essential for billing clients and understanding project profitability. Day.io offers a simple yet effective way to track time with an intuitive interface that makes it easy to get started.
- Real-time notifications for late arrivals, early exists, and tolerance
- Set schedules, rules, and configurations per employee for different shifts
- Advanced anti-fraud mechanisms (GPS, IP, device verification, face recognition, and voice commands)
- Automated PTO and vacation management
- Integration with Major CRM, messaging, and ERP platforms
- Advanced electronic signature tool (GDPR compliant)
Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, tablet/kiosk, offline, API
- Time Tracking: $5/employee per month
- Project Tracking: $8/employee per month
- Other plans: Premium and Enterprise
2. Time Analytics — Best time tracking app for consultants
Efficient time tracking is essential for consultants who bill by the hour. Time Analytics makes it easy to see where your time goes so you can optimize your workflow and boost your productivity.
Time Analytics offers:
- Automated, comprehensive timesheets
- Track time utilization, billable and non-billable hours per project
- Monitor profitability with the timesheet calculator
- Allocate generated costs to projects and clients
- Prepare data for quick invoicing
Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Web
- Free version: 5 users, 30 clients, and 30 projects
- Starter: $4.99/user per month
- Optimum: $6.99/user per month
3. RescueTime — Best time tracking app for freelancers
RescueTime is a great option for freelancers who want to better understand their work habits. The app offers insights into where you spend your time and how much time you spend on all activities on your computer.
- Distraction blocking with Focus Sessions
- Customized daily Focus Work goals
- Connect to Spotify to enhance your sessions
- Enter a virtual workspace to focus with people around the world
- Detailed post-session reports
Windows, macOS, Mobile, Web
- Lite option with limited features
- 14-day free Premium trial
- Premium: $6.50/month
4. Traqq — Best personal time tracking app
Tracking your time can be helpful for personal productivity as well. Traqq offers an easy way to see how you spend your time on your computer so you can make changes to improve your efficiency.
With Traqq, you get the following features:
- Offline time tracking
- Manual time adjustments
- Optional screenshot taking
- Intentionally blurred screenshots when allowed
- Generate reports and calculate payroll
Windows, MacOS, Web
- Free plan: 3 users, and unlimited projects and clients
- Premium plan: $7/user per month
5. TopTracker — Best free time tracking app
Made by the popular freelance platform Toptal, this time tracker is a great option if you’re on a budget. TopTracker offers all the essential features of a time tracking app without any monthly fees.
- Add billable hours and invoice clients
- Quickly start or stop the timer with keyboard shortcuts
- Optional screenshot taking
- Activity level tracking
- Full privacy for freelancers
Windows, macOS, Mobile
6. Daily — Best time tracking app for Mac
Most time trackers require you to use a web browser, but Daily is designed specifically for Mac users. The app has a sleek interface and offers features like automated time tracking and synchronization using iCloud, to help you increase your productivity.
Daily’s features include:
- Track hours based on a novel approach called sampling
- Schedule when you need to track time
- Control the app without opening it through keyboard shortcuts
- iCloud synchronization
- Extensive export capabilities with AppleScript
macOS (also available on Setapp)
- Free 7-day trial
- Monthly: $3.99
- Quarterly: $6.99
- Yearly: $29.99
- Lifetime: $59.99
7. Hours — Best time tracking app for iPhone
Since we all have our phones with us at all times, it can be helpful to use a time tracker that works on your iPhone. Hours offers features like multiple tracking options and voice commands to help you stay on top of your time management.
Hours gives you:
- Multiple tracking options (Personal, Professional, and Teams)
- Start/stop/switch timers with one tap
- Use Siri to start and stop timer
- Sync your time across multiple devices
- Invoice with the Professional and Team versions
macOS, iOS (iPhone, and Apple Watch), Web
- Free with limited features
- Hours Pro: $7.99 per month or $59.99 per year
8. Hours TimeLord — Best time tracking app for Android
Available on both iPhone and Android, Hours TimeLord is an excellent option for those who want to track their time on the go. It has a visual timeline that allows you to start and stop timers even when you’re offline.
Hours TimeLord offers a number of great features:
- Visual timeline
- Single tap to start, stop, or switch timers
- 100+ color options for tasks, projects, and clients
- Customizable and exportable reports
- Easy entry and notes organization with tags
Android, iOS, Web, offline
- Free with limited features
- Personal: $9.99/year
- Pro: $49/year
- Teams: $199/year
9. Timing — Best time tracking app for multiple apps
When you’re using multiple apps for work, it can be difficult to keep track of your time. Timing automatically tracks your activity and provides detailed reports of which apps you use the most.
- Automated time tracking based on what you’re working
- Timeline’s smart suggestions to combine blocks of time
- Track your time on your favorite apps
- Privacy-friendly time tracking for teams
- Create rules to automate assignments
macOS, Web, iOS
- Professional: $10/user per month
- Expert: $13/user per month
- Connect: $18/user per month
10. PayDirt — Best time tracking app for multiple projects
PayDirt is an all-in-one solution for freelancers and agencies that need to track time for multiple projects. The app offers features like invoicing, project management, and smart time tracking to help you stay organized and on budget.
With PayDirt, you get:
- One easy dashboard to track time, invoices, and payments
- Personalized time trackers
- Integrate with 700+ tools and apps to track time
- Easy payments with PayPal and Stripe integrations
- Send quotes directly in 52 currencies and 17 languages
- Starter: $8/month
- Hustler: $16/month
- Other plans: from $32/month (Co-op) to $149/month (Agency)
11. ATracker — Best simple time tracking app
If you’re looking for an intuitive and straightforward time tracker, ATracker is one of the best options in the market. It provides all the basic features you need to track your time, without any bells and whistles that might complicate things.
ATracker offers a suite of helpful tools:
- Start and stop a task with just one tap
- View time spending and goal history
- Set daily and weekly goals
- Start and stop a task through widgets (iOS only)
- Customizable background, style, and icons
Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows (for Premium plans only)
- Free forever with limited features
- ATracker PRO: a one-time fee of $4.99 for iOS and $2.99 for Android
- Premium: $2.99/month for access via the Web and unlimited active goals
12. Timely — Best visual time tracking app
For a more visual way to track your time, Timely offers an elegant interface resembling a calendar to show you where your time goes. It is powered by AI to give you insights into your work habits and make time management easy and fun.
With Timely, you get:
- Automated time tracking based on your activity
- Full privacy for employees
- Real-time notifications and changes in dashboards
- Schedule tasks effortlessly with the Tasks add-on
- Connect to 4,000+ apps with Zapier integration
Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Web
- Starter: $10/user per month
- Premium: $18/user per month
- Unlimited: $26/user per month
- Tasks add-on: $5 per user per month
13. HourStack — Best time tracking app with a calendar
Why track your time in a separate app when you can see it right in your calendar? HourStack is one of the best time trackers that connects with Google Calendar and Outlook to easily visualize your time commitments.
- Drag & drop scheduling
- Start timers directly from the calendar with one click
- Edit entries manually
- Integrations with apps and tools you already use
- Scalable, customizable workspace for different clients or teams
Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Web
- Free 14-day trial
- Personal: $12 per month
- Team: 15/user per month
Best Time Tracking Apps 2023 Compared
|Advanced anti-fraud mechanisms||Time Tracking: $5/ employee per month
Project Tracking: $8/employee per month
|Time Analytics||Track time utilization, plus billable and non-billable hours per project||Free for 5 users
Starter: $4.99/user per month
Optimum: $6.99/user per month
|Distraction blocking with Focus Sessions||Free lite option with limited features
Premium: 14-day trial, credit card required, $6.50/month after
|Offline time tracking||Free for 3 users, and unlimited projects & clients
Premium: $7/user per month
|Quickly start or stop the timer with keyboard shortcuts||Free forever|
|Track hours based on sampling||Free 7-day trial
|Multiple tracking options (Personal, Professional, and Teams)||Free forever with limited features
Pro plan: $7.99/month and $59.99/year
|Single tap to start, stop, or switch timers||Free forever with limited features
Teams: $199/year for 5 users
|Automated time tracking based on what you’re doing||Professional: $10/user per month
Expert: $13/user per month
Connect: $18/user per month
|Send quotes and invoices directly in 52 currencies and 17 languages||Starter: $8/month
Small team: $49/month
Large team: $79/month
|Start and stop a task with just one tap||Free forever with limited features
ATracker PRO: One-time fee of $4.99 for iOS and $2.99 for Android
|Full privacy for employees (no screenshots, keystroke monitoring, etc.)||Starter: $10/user per month
Premium: $18/user per month
Tasks add-on: $5/user per month
|Start timers directly from the calendar with one click||Free 14-day trial
Personal: $12 per month for one user
Team: $15/user per month
Summary — Best Time Tracking App in 2023
Whether you’re a freelancer, a small business owner, or part of a team, time tracking can help you be more productive and efficient with your time. Manage your time better with one of the 13 best time tracking apps we’ve listed above.
If you’re looking for an all-in-one solution for your time tracking needs, Day.io offers various features for team management such as advanced anti-fraud mechanisms, real-time notifications and tolerance for late arrivals, and individual employee scheduling for more accurate time tracking.
Spend more time on the work that matters with Day.io today!