Effective time management has become the key to success in a world where time is the most precious commodity. With so many demands on our time, keeping track of tasks and deadlines can be challenging.
Fortunately, Notion has emerged as a powerful tool for project management and time tracking in 2023. From tracking billable hours to managing team tasks, Notion’s time-tracking features can help you stay on schedule and maximize productivity.
In this article, we’ll explore how to get the most out of Notion’s time-tracking features and integrations and how they can help you control your time and achieve your goals.
Throughout this article, we’ll discuss:
- Top Notion Features for Time Management
- Why Track Time with Notion?
- How to Track Time with Notion?
- 3 Best Notion Time Tracking and Management Integrations 2023
Top Notion Features for Time Management
Notion primarily serves as an all-in-one workspace for organizing and tracking tasks. It is packed with features to help you manage your time efficiently, such as:
Notion’s customizable workspaces are designed to give you full control over managing your projects. You can create custom pages, sort tasks into categories and lists, add tags for organization, and customize views to make information easier to find.
Notion also offers a range of calendar templates that you can use to stay on top of deadlines or plan out the upcoming weeks. You can integrate external calendars with Notion so that any events added outside the app will also appear in your workspace.
Notion’s database structure is perfect for organizing and tracking tasks. You can create custom databases to store all the data related to a project, such as task lists, resources, notes, and more.
Notion also allows you to link entries in different databases so that related information is easily accessible from one place. This makes it easy to view an overview of your projects or break down tasks into smaller pieces.
App Integration and Customizations
Notion integrates with various apps, including Trello, Asana, and Monday.com, to sync tasks across multiple platforms. You can also customize integrations to match your workflow requirements.
Additionally, Notion offers dozens of third-party app integrations for time tracking and management. These include tools for billing clients, managing expenses and invoices, scheduling meetings, setting reminders, and more.
Notion’s automation capabilities make it a great tool for tracking time and managing tasks. You can set up rules to automate mundane or repetitive tasks so that you can focus on more important work.
Notion also offers automated reminders, calendar syncing, and email notifications to help you stay productive and organized. The app’s Zapier integration allows you to connect Notion with 1,500+ other apps to automate even more of your workflow.
Wide Selection of Templates
Notion offers a wide selection of templates to help you get started with time tracking. These include project plans, task lists, and calendars that you can customize to fit your needs.
With Notion’s templates, you don’t have to start from scratch when setting up a project. You can quickly create a workspace based on an existing template and customize it as needed. This helps save time and ensures consistency across projects.
Why Track Time with Notion?
Notion provides seamless documentation and automation capabilities, making it an ideal platform for time and project management. When you use Notion to manage a project, time-tracking can benefit you in several ways:
- Deadline management: Notion’s timeline view provides an easy-to-follow overview of all tasks and their due dates. This helps you keep track of deadlines and ensure that tasks are completed on time.
- Billable hours tracking: You would always want to know how much time you have spent on a project and what the billable hours are. When using Notion, it will be beneficial if you can bill your client based on the actual time you have spent.
- Time analysis: Notion’s powerful analytics capabilities allow you to quickly analyze trends in your time management and identify areas for improvement.
- Stronger documentation: Having a clear record of the time you have spent on tasks and projects will help you better document your work and provide a reliable source of information for future reference.
- Data-driven decision: Time tracking with Notion helps you make smarter decisions about how to allocate resources and manage your workflow.
How to Track Time with Notion?
While Notion offers plenty of project management and documentation features, it lacks a dedicated time-tracking feature. However, you can track time with Notion at a basic level by creating a timeline for each project and adding tasks.
There are a few ways to track time with Notion, such as:
1. Importing Time Data from Another App
There is an effective workaround for those looking for a way to track time in Notion. One can use another app to track their time and export the data as a CSV file before uploading it into Notion.
However, this method does not allow for real-time tracking. To ensure that any issues or delays are avoided during import, confirm the header rows of your CSV file match the property names exactly. E.g., if the Date property in your Notion database is titled “Time block,” so should its corresponding column name in your CSV file.
2. Create a Timeline View
You can track time in Notion by creating a Timeline view. Just select the Date property you want to use and start adding pages. As an added convenience, any new page created in this view will include automatically generated Start and End dates for your record keeping.
3. Using Formulas with a Database
A more advanced time-tracking process is to use Formulas and Date properties within an existing database. This will enable you to automatically calculate how many hours have been tracked on the pages in a database.
To set this up, create a new Date property with ‘End date’ and ‘Include time’ activated for each entry. Then, add two Formula properties; one that calculates the total minutes spent on a task (using the dateBetween function) and another which converts it into hours and minutes by dividing by 60 minutes, then multiplying by 100 and rounding off any decimal points.
4. Using Time Tracking Templates
Notion also offers several time-tracking templates that can be used to quickly and efficiently track your hours. These templates include a range of features such as timers, task lists, and graphs which you can use to get an overview of how much time is spent on each task or project.
5. Using Third-party Apps and Integrations
The most efficient way to track time in Notion is by using a third-party app. Several apps are available for tracking time in Notion, such as Day.io. These apps allow you to easily set up timers and export your data into CSV files that can be imported into Notion. Many apps also offer a Chrome extension, enabling you to quickly and easily track time from your browser.
3 Best Notion Time Tracking and Management Integrations 2023
We’ve compiled a list of the best Notion time tracking and management integrations to help you get the most out of your projects in 2023.
1. Day.io – Best Time Tracking and Management App for Notion in 2023
Day.io is an excellent choice for tracking time in Notion. It allows you to easily create and manage tasks, track billable hours, and generate reports with ease. The app integrates directly into Notion so you don’t have to worry about switching between apps to access your data.
The Chrome extension lets you start and stop timers with a single click without leaving your Notion dashboard, so you can easily track how much time is being spent on each task.
- Time tracking for tasks, projects, subtasks, and clients
- Automatic and manual time clock
- Configurable timesheet approval
- GPS and biometrics-based fraud prevention
- Project cost management
- Invoice and billing for clients
- Overtime and extra hours management
- Comprehensive reports and projects progress analysis
Starts from $6 per user/month.
2. Jibble – Affordable and Intuitive Time Tracking and Reporting
Jibble is a great option for those who need an affordable and intuitive time tracking solution. It offers a wide range of features, including automatic timesheets, detailed reporting, and robust project management capabilities.
Jibble integrates with Notion so you can easily track your team’s progress in real-time. The mobile app makes it easy to log hours on the go and generate reports quickly.
- Time tracking with seamless syncing with Notion
- One-click time tracking with Chrome Extension
- Powerful analytics and reports for improved productivity
- Visual charts to identify patterns in time utilization
- Multiple filters to analyze project data better.
- Payroll-ready timesheets with overtime and billable hours tracked
Price is available upon request, depending on your business needs and size.
3. Monday.com – Excellent Work Management Platform
Monday.com is a comprehensive work management platform that offers all the features you need to manage projects, track time, and collaborate with your team in one place. Monday makes it easy to track progress in Notion and generate detailed reports. The app also offers robust project management tools, such as task lists, Kanban boards, Gantt charts, and more.
- Time tracking and project management on one platform
- Gantt charts to track progress of tasks, projects, and teams
- Real-time collaboration with team members
- Reports and dashboards for better insights into time utilization
- Integrations with popular tools like Slack, Zapier, Trello
- Individual: Free, with basic features
- Basic: $10 per user/month
- Standard: $12 per user/month
- Pro: $20 per user/month
Wrap-Up: Time Tracking with Notion
Notion offers tons of features to help you track and manage your project. However, the platform lacks a dedicated time-tracking tool. Fortunately, plenty of integrations can help you fill this gap and get the most out of your projects.
By leveraging Notion’s powerful features and integrations, you can ensure your time is managed effectively and efficiently, allowing you to succeed in 2023. Sign up for Day.io today to take your Notion time management experience to a new level.